Resilience And Optimism
Resilience or mental toughness is the ability to remain calm and level-headed under pressure, to stay positive despite setbacks, to “bounce back” and to keep life’s issues in perspective. Resilience is strengthened by six key skills:
- To understand one’s essential talents and core purpose, and to practice this through a “portfolio of passions”. This counters the boredom and monotony that often contribute to a sense of meaninglessness and eventual burnout.
- To know your own top character strengths or virtues, and to practically live and apply them in everyday life.
- To recognize one’s meaningful contribution in every situation, and maintain focus on your highest priority areas of energy expenditure. This special form of visioning and inner meaning, counters the lack of purpose and confusion that contribute to inner weakness and powerlessness.
- Proper thought management. The ability to be aware of one’s negative inner self-talk and destructive thought images, to realize the impact of those thoughts on feelings, moods and the way we behave and manage situations, and to create more constructive and life-enhancing thoughts instead.
- Optimism and hardiness. The ability to maintain a sense of hope, control and “bounce-back” amidst setbacks, and to utilize successes and satisfactory outcomes in such a way that further accomplishments are achieved.
- An ability to compose oneself quickly under difficult circumstances, and anchor inner resources to manage these situations.
In this two-day program, the most important and key skills for improving resilience at work and at home will be provided through practical exercises as usable tools for immediate application. The session will be multi-modal, with short theoretical inputs, demonstrations, film clips, skills practice and application exercises.
As a follow-up, secondary supportive skills for strengthening resilience can be provided, such as:
- A rapid relaxation response
- Managing stressful and negative emotions
- Social support and networking
- A sense of humor