Positive Psychology in the Workplace
Living the Strength-Based Life at Work and at Home
Positive Psychology is a relatively new science initiated by Prof Martin Seligman of the University of Pennsylvania in 1998. It had its first world congress in 2009 with 1500 delegates attending from all over the world. It now enjoys world-wide acclaim as the definitive science of what makes people thrive and function optimally, at work and in one’s personal life. The movement is very rigorous i.t.o. its research and scientific stand, and does not recommend any skills or tools unless it has been proven to be effective through meticulous scientific scrutiny.
This program will provide a variety of practical skills and scientifically proven tools and techniques to enhance optimal functioning and well-being under the following headings, recognised as the universal character virtues that bring out the best in every person. A pre-and post-assessment will be done to measure the impact of the program on measures like positive-negative affect, life satisfaction, subjective happiness and work engagement (vigour, dedication and absorption in the workplace):
DURATION: 7 days with about 4-5 weeks in-between the sessions. One day for each of the main topics mentioned above. Implementation assignments will be given where the skills will be applied in the normal course of work and home-life, complementing everyday issues in both.
All the training sessions always include practical exercises and usable tools for immediate application. The sessions are multi-modal, with short theoretical inputs, demonstrations, film clips, skills practice, training games, energizers, interactive and application exercises.
SESSION 1 - INTRODUCTION TO CHARACTER STRENGTHS
WHAT IS CHARACTER?
• Symbols and quotes
• Voice Dialogue
A STRENGTH=BASED LIFE
• My life and legacy
• Taking character to work and life
• Re-crafting my work
SESSION 2 - COURAGE
Signals of Complacency
• What is being real?
• Three elements of integrity
• Character versus persona
• Elements of vitality
• The human dashboard
• Positivity ratio
• Three kinds of bravery
• What makes people lose their virtues?
• What would you do? (various situations)
• A menu of bravery behaviours
• What does it take?
• Stories of persistence
• A persistent future
SESSION 3 – HUMANITY
The importance of relationships
• Practical caring
• Get to know each other
• Nurture admiration and appreciation
• Turn towards instead of away
• Practice caring communication
• Acts of kindness in practice
• Inter-group intelligence (appreciating diversity)
• Social attunement
SESSION 4 -WISDOM
The Balance Theory of Wisdom
Why can smart people be so unwise?
• Stretching and embracing
• A questioning mindset
LOVE OF LEARNING
• Fixed versus Growth Mindset
• Cultivating the Growth Mindset
• Your beliefs and open-mindedness
• What is creativity?
• Creativity exercises
• What develops wise perspectives?
• Harvesting pearls of wisdom
SESSION 5 - JUSTICE
• Lady Justice
• Be the jury
• Growing from stereotypes
• What makes a good team player?
• “Sell” yourself interview
• Team-building activities
• Qualities of famous leaders
• Exemplary leadership practices
SESSION 6 – TEMPERANCE
• Clarifying forgiveness
• The process of forgiving
• Practicing forgiveness
• Clarifying prudence
• The Immunity Map
• Clarifying modesty
• Practicing modesty
• Composure – a three-step procedure
• Take charge of your thoughts
SESSION 7 – TRANSCENDENCE
• Gratitude Log
• Finding “Diamonds in the Dust”
APPRECIATION OF BEAUTY AND EXCELLENCE
• Living an awe-inspired life
• Finding moments of beauty and excellence
HOPE, OPTIMISM AND FUTURE-MINDEDNESS
• The Magical Question
• Explanatory Styles during success and setback
HUMOUR AND PLAYFULNESS
• The essence of humour
• Tips on being more humourous
SPIRITUALITY, SENSE OF PURPOSE AND FAITH
• Proverbs from around the world
• Seven pathways to the spiritual
• Something to think about
An example of changes in positive (blue) and negative (red) mood-states during the course of this program
An example of changes in Subjective Happiness levels during the course of this program
An example of Life Satisfaction changes during the course of this program